2014/07/30

John Isner Withdraws From Australian Open

6820483406_ce99b19b3e

(January 10, 2013) No. 1 ranked American John Isner has officially withdrawn from the 2013 Australian Open due to a bone bruise in his right knee.

The Australian Open twitter account tweeted the announcement along with the following quotes:

Isner: “”I am extremely disappointed to announce that I have to withdraw from the #AusOpen.”

Isner on #AusOpen withdrawal: “I have been feeling some discomfort in my knee and have recently learned that I have a bone bruise.”

Isner on #AusOpen withdrawal: “Doctors have told me that continuing to play on the knee could result in a more serious injury.”

On Wednesday, Isner  ranked No 13 in the world, who was the top seed at the Sydney tournament,  fell to qualifier and fellow American Ryan Harrison, 6-4, 6-4.

“It was a lot better than it was six days ago, but it wasn’t 100 percent,” said Isner of the knee to media in Sydney after the loss. “I’ve got a decision to make shortly. What I have needs time. It can get worse. It needs rest is what it needs. That’s the only thing I’ve done since I felt it last week is rest. You [can] make it worse. I will need to take time off somewhere. That’s a given. It’s not just going to heal. I can’t play all the way through and have it heal.”

Isner first injured his knee  at the Hopman Cup mixed-team event in Perth last week and had to pull out.

Sam Querrey  will be the only seeded American man at the Australian Open when it begins on January 14. Before the Isner withdrawal he was seeded 21st.

Share