(February 16, 2013) A day after moving up to world No. 1 Serena Williams defeated Maria Sharapova 6-3, 6-2 on Saturday to reach the Qatar Open final. Williams extended her winning streak against the Russian to 10 straight. The American is 11-2 versus Sharapova.
“Maria is always playing really well and so consistent, but I’m trying to be consistent as well,” Williams said to the WTA website. “I love it here in Doha. I’ve never played this particular tournament but I’ve played in Doha before and had some good results, and I hope to have a good result in the final tomorrow, too.”
Williams will face Victoria Azarenka in the Doha final. Azarenka had no problems with Agnieszka Radwanska stopping her 6-3, 6-3.
“I think it was a really high performance match from both of us,” Azarenka said to the WTA websaite. “It was a little bit shaky in the beginning – I think I did a little bit too many unforced errors and rushed a little bit into the rallies, but I started to be patient and more aggressive and dominant, really going for my shots when there was an opportunity, and taking advantage of every short ball she gave me. I’m glad I could turn it around.”
Williams holds a career 11-1 record versus Azarenka.
QATAR TOTAL OPEN
February 11-17, 2013
Results - Saturday, February 16, 2013
Singles – Semifinals
(1) Victoria Azarenka (BLR) d. (4) Agnieszka Radwanska (POL) 63 63
(2) Serena Williams (USA) d. (3) Maria Sharapova (RUS) 63 62
Doubles – Semifinals
(1) Errani/Vinci (ITA/ITA) d. (6) Groenefeld/Peschke (GER/CZE) 16 76(3) 119 (Match TB)
(2) Petrova/Srebotnik (RUS/SLO) d. (3) Kops-Jones/Spears (USA/USA) 36 63 1210 (Match TB)
Order Of Play – Sunday, February 17, 2013
Centre Court (from 15.30hrs)
1. Doubles Final: Errani/Vinci vs. Petrova/Srebotnik
2. Singles Final: Victoria Azarenka vs. Serena Williams (NB 18.00hrs)