(October 26, 2013) A sluggish Serena Williams overcame her fatigue to stop Jelena Jankovic 6-4, 2-6, 6-4 to move into finals of the WTA Championships.
Williams who appeared to be in pain during the match said that she hit a wall after playing so much tennis this year. She’s 77-4 on the year and looking for her second straight year-end title, which would be her fourth overall.
Williams will be meeting Li Na in the final on Sunday. Li defeated Petra Kvitova 6-4, 6-2 to make her first appearance in the year-end tournament. This will be a match-up between the two oldest women in the tournament with Williams at 32 and Li at 31.
TEB BNP PARIBAS WTA CHAMPIONSHIPS – ISTANBUL
October 22-October 27, 2013
Results – Saturday, October 26, 2013
Singles – Semifinals
(1) Serena Williams (USA) d. (7) Jelena Jankovic (SRB) 64 26 64
(4) Li Na (CHN) d. (5) Petra Kvitova (CZE) 64 62
Doubles – Semifinals
Makarova/Vesnina (RUS/RUS) d. (1) Errani/Vinci (ITA/ITA) 46 75 103 (Match TB)
(2) Hsieh/Peng (TPE/CHN) d. Petrova/Srebotnik (RUS/SLO) 76(5) 62
Order Of Play – Sunday, October 27, 2013
Center Court (from 14.30hrs)
1. Doubles Final: Makarova/Vesnina vs. Hsieh/Peng
2. Singles Final: Serena Williams vs. Li Na (NB 17.00hrs)