(March 9, 2014) INDIAN WELLS – Sixth-seeded Juan Martin del Potro withdrew from the BNP Paribas Open on Sunday due to ligament damage in his left wrist. Del Potro also pulled out of the Dubai tournament last week with the same injury.
“Well, my situation, it’s the same as Dubai,” said the Argentine. “The wrist is still bothering me a lot. I signed up for doubles here to try before singles how I’m feeling, and I played yesterday and I didn’t feel really well.
“I’m not feeling 100%, and I’m not in good conditions to compete and to try and to win the tournament.
“I mean, I always like to feel good and feel the chance to win the tournament, and I’m not feeling that. The wrist is still bothering me a lot, and my doctors tell me to wait ten more days doing the treatment and do everything possible to play in Miami.
“That’s what is my focus now. I will have the next ten days for do the same treatment, the same exercises, the same rehabilitation, and try to get in Miami much better than here and see what could happen in that tournament.”
“The problem start in Melbourne,” Del Potro said. Yeah. In my first round in Melbourne, yeah.
“And after that match is painful all the time. I couldn’t spend time without the pain after Melbourne.”