(October 20, 2016) Rafael Nadal ended his 2016 season early with a left wrist injury.
“I am forced to stop and start preparing the 2017 season,” Nadal said on his Facebook page.
“Now it is time to rest and start preparing intensively the 2017 season. I am very saddened for not being able to play next week in Basel since I have a great memory of the tournament and the final played against Roger Federer last year. I won’t be able to compete either in Paris-Bercy, where the crowds and the FFT staff have always treated me so well. Now it is time to rest and start preparing intensively the 2017 season.”
The 14-time major champion ends the year at 39-14 with two titles – Monte Carlo and Barcelona.
On Wednesday, Nadal officially opened the Rafa Nadal Academy by Movistar in his hometown Manacor.
“Personally it is a very special day because today has been the inauguration of the Rafa Nadal Academy by Movistar,” said Nadal. “Today is the day when we finally launch something that has taken a lot of years of work and dedication. It will be an unforgettable day for me and also for all the people involved in this project,” he continued. “I still have years of tennis ahead of me there is a future and this academy is part of this future.”
“It’s a dream come true. We hope the kids will enjoy this experience a lot and we want these facilities to be not only a professional success for them but also a great education on the academic and person front.”
“We are doing something very special and to have it here, at home, in Mallorca, in Manacor, is even more special.”
Federer said: “I don’t how many people like Rafa’s calibre have an academy. And it’s also in his hometown. So I see his DNA all around and that is an incredible bonus in my opinion.”
“If you look at this academy, you can see that it is something special where he, his family and friends have been very involved. His work ethic is right there at the top and he can share his values and experience with the kids. It’s only the beginning, but a very, very exciting one.”