USTA GRANTS AMAZON PRIME VIDEO EXCLUSIVE LIVE TELECAST RIGHTS
TO US OPEN TENNIS IN THE UNITED KINGDOM AND IRELAND
Five-Year Deal to Bring Live and On-Demand Coverage to Prime Members
in Both Territories Beginning with 2018 US Open
WHITE PLAINS, N.Y., April 19, 2018 – The USTA today announced that Amazon Prime Video has been granted the exclusive live telecast rights to the US Open Tennis Championships in the United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland. The five-year agreement, which begins with the 2018 US Open, will bring live and on-demand content to Prime members in both territories at no additional cost.
Prime members in the U.K. and Ireland will have access to live match play emanating from the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, home of the US Open. Prime Video will also provide access to on-demand match highlights and other content.
Prime members in the U.K. and Ireland will be able to watch US Open content across more than 600 devices on the Prime Video app for TVs, game consoles, set top boxes and connected devices, including Amazon Fire TV and Apple TV, mobile devices and online.
“This new partnership allows the USTA to showcase our live and on-demand content to Amazon Prime members throughout the U.K. and Ireland,” said Lew Sherr, USTA Chief Revenue Officer. “We are excited to market the telecasts via Prime Video and provide fans more ways to watch tennis matches.”
“Prime Video is focused on bringing customers a great selection of high-quality entertainment across drama, comedy, documentaries, live sports and more,” said Jay Marine, Vice President, Prime Video Europe. “We are delighted to now offer Prime members US Open tennis at no extra cost to their membership, right alongside their favourite shows and movies.”
“We are proud to partner with the USTA to add the US Open to the growing portfolio of sports available on Prime Video,” said Alex Green, Managing Director, Channels & Sports, Prime Video Europe. “This prestigious event, along with the other exciting tennis coming this year and next, makes Prime Video a destination for tennis fans in the U.K. and Ireland.”
The 2018 US Open takes place from August 27, 2018 to September 9, 2018 at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in Flushing Meadows, NY. The 2018 US Open marks the 50th Anniversary of the US Open, and also will be the first US Open played upon the completion of the $600 million transformation of the National Tennis Center. 2018 will see the inaugural season of the new Louis Armstrong Stadium, a 14,000 seat state-of-the-art facility, which is the final piece of an expanded facility that has been more than 90% transformed.
About Amazon Prime Video
Prime Video is a premium on-demand entertainment service that offers customers the greatest choice in what to watch, and how to watch it. Prime Video is the only service that provides all the following:
- Movies and TV: Thousands of popular movies and TV episodes, to stream or download, including Prime Originals like Golden Globe winning The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel created by Amy Sherman-Palladino and starring Golden Globe winning Rachel Brosnahan; Jean-Claude Van Johnson starring world-renowned actor and martial artist, Jean-Claude Van Damme; Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May’s The Grand Tour; American Gods, based on the award-winning novel by Neil Gaiman; Sneaky Pete, executive produced by Bryan Cranston; Goliath, starring Billy Bob Thornton; the multi-award-winning Transparent; Ridley Scott produced The Man in the High Castle and Sam Esmail’s MR. ROBOT starring Rami Malek.Plus, must-see films like Lion, Moonlight, Jackie and more. Prime Video is also available to customers in more than 240 countries and territories around the globe.
- Amazon Channels: Allowing Prime members to add over 40 individual channel subscriptions including Discovery, Eurosport Player, hayu and others to their Prime Video viewing experience for an additional low monthly subscription fee, without the need to sign up for a bundle or enter a lengthy contract.
- Rent or Own: Thousands of titles, including new-release movies and current TV shows available for on-demand rental or purchase for all Amazon customers.
- Watch Anywhere: Instantly watch anytime, anywhere through the Amazon Video app on smart TVs or Apple TV, mobile devices and tablets, Amazon Fire TV, Fire TV Stick, and Fire tablets, on Xbox, PlayStation, Wii and Wii U, on the Amazon Prime Video app available on Google Play and through the web at www.amazon.co.uk/primevideo.
- Premium Features: Top features like 4K Ultra HD, High Dynamic Range (HDR) and mobile downloads for offline viewing.