US OPEN CELEBRATES 50TH ANNIVERSARY AND ELEVATES DINING EXPERIENCE WITH NEW CULINARY OPTIONS LED BY RENOWNED CHEFS
Chefs Marc Forgione and JJ Johnson Make their US Open Debuts, and Join Culinary All-Stars Ed Brown, David Burke, Josh Capon, David Chang, Esther Choi, Tony Mantuano, Masaharu Morimoto, and Marcus Samuelsson
FLUSHING, N.Y., Aug. 23, 2018 – The United States Tennis Association (USTA) and hospitality partner Levy introduced several new dining hot spots for this year’s US Open across the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center grounds. For the first time, Marc Forgione of American Cut fame brings his signature steakhouse specialties to Champions while Marcus Samuelsson returns to curate the menu at Mojito Restaurant & Bar. Also returning in a permanent spot will be Café Spiaggia, helmed by James Beard award-winning chef Tony Mantuano and winner of “Top Chef” Season 15, Joe Flamm.
The USTA and Levy serves up chef-driven, elevated menu items to more than 700,000 guests annually across the Food Village, various restaurants, and other concessions areas. In addition, the USTA will officially open the new Louis Armstrong Stadium for this year’s US Open. The state-of-the-art stadium will also feature multiple culinary options for fans.
The Food Village & Concessions
Fans can look forward to feasting on fresh local seafood, hearty grain bowls, and Korean-inspired flavors, along with favorite local hot spots in the Food Village and Concessions. New additions include popular Melt Bakery ice cream sandwiches and FIELDTRIP, a grain bowl concept by Chef JJ Johnson. Returning favorites include Melt Shop, David Chang’s Fuku, Korilla BBQ, Poke Yachty, JoJu, Lure Fishbar, Dean and Deluca, Angry Taco, Fish Shack, Le Chef Paul’s Crêperie, and Wine Bar Food.
FIELDTRIP (New in 2018): Chef JJ Johnson is thrilled to preview his new restaurant FIELDTRIP—opening this fall in Harlem—at the US Open. Chef JJ will be bringing heirloom rice from around the world to cook up flavorful rice bowls and buns.
- Crispy Jerk BBQ Chicken Thigh + Carolina Gold Rice: A 24-hour brined fried chicken thigh glazed in jerk BBQ sauce with notes of tamarind, habanero, allspice and nutmeg served with fresh market vegetables in a bowl with Anson Mills freshly milled Carolina Gold Rice
- Piri Piri Salmon and Pineapple Black Rice: Hand-caught Skuna Bay salmon in a citrusy and flavorful Piri Piri sauce, served with Anson Mills Black China Rice along with shaved cabbage, edamame and pineapple
- Grilled Shrimp, Crispy Coconut Rice + Jollof Sauce: Sticky coconut rice meets grilled shrimp in Jollof sauce, a slightly sweet, slightly spicy sauce of tomatoes, eggplant, West African Birds Eye Chili, habanero, cayenne and ginger
- Grain Bao Bun with Taro Chips: A grain burger made with quinoa, shitake mushrooms, roasted poblanos, corn and spices topped with smashed avocado and stracciatella cheese
Fuku: Momofuku Chef and Founder David Chang and his fried chicken sandwich shop return in multiple locations this year at US Open. Menu highlights include:
- 110 Burger (New in 2018 and exclusive to the US Open): Two LaFreida beef patties topped with cheese, applewood-smoked bacon, pickles, and Fuku Mayo atop Hot Bread Kitchen Bing Bread
- Knockout Sandwich (New in 2018): Spicy fried chicken thigh topped with seasoned cabbage and knockout sauce
- Spicy Fried Chicken Sandwich: Habanero marinated spicy fried chicken thighs served on a Martin’s potato roll and garnished with pickles and Fuku butter; available option to “Stack It” and add an extra habanero thigh.
Korilla BBQ & Poke Yachty: Korilla, led by Chef Esther Choi, returns with two locations and signature poke stand, Poke Yachty, serving up fresh fish bowls:
- K-Bop: Sticky rice bowls served with housemade kimchi, kale, fire-roasted corn, and choice of bulgogi (marinated ribeye), braised ginger sesame chicken, slow-roasted pork shoulder in gochugaru (Korean red pepper flakes), and organic tofu, with choice of Korilla’s signature sauces (Korilla BBQ)
- Signature Poke Bowls: Guests’ choice of classic tuna, spicy tuna, salmon, crab and shrimp and tofu poke bowls (Poke Yachty)
JoJu: JoJu crafts modern Vietnamese sandwiches atop fresh bread in concessions, including:
- Lemongrass Chicken Banh Mi: 24-hour marinated chicken thigh on a toasted baguette with spicy mayo, fresh cucumber, pickled daikon and carrots, and fresh cilantro.
- Loaded Banh Mi Fries: Seasoned double-fried fries topped with spicy mayo and green sauce, pickled daikon and carrots, and chopped cilantro.
- Banh Mi Bacon Dog: Juicy hot dog wrapped with bacon loaded with spicy mayo, green sauce, and banh mi fixings.
Le Chef Paul’s Crêperie: Freshly-made sweet and savory crepe creations, such as:
- Le Boeuf Bourguignon Crepe: Sumptuous skirt steak
- La Poulet Dijon Crepe: Tender chicken and Dijon sauce
- La Pomme Crepe: Sweet apples
Melt Bakery (New in 2018): Hand-made ice cream cookie sandwiches made fresh daily.
- Classic: Chocolate chip walnut cookies with vanilla ice cream
- Lovelet: Red velvet Meltcake with cream cheese ice cream
- Bramblebee: Honeycomb cookies with blackberry violet ice cream
Melt Shop: NYC’s comfort food haven serves up several of its classic melted sandwiches and sides in Food Village:
- Fried Chicken Melt: Buttermilk fried chicken, pepper jack cheese and red cabbage slaw topped with Melt Sauce
- Classic Grilled Cheese with Bacon: Featuring American and New York Cheddar with Applewood smoked bacon
- Shop Tots: Crispy tater tots with a dusting of Parmesan
Celebrity Chefs and On-Site Restaurants
Champions by American Cut (New in 2018): LDV Hospitality is excited to partner with USTA to bring Chef-Partner Marc Forgione’s American Cut to the US Open as the signature steakhouse. The restaurant will feature signature classics from American Cut’s menu, such as the OG 1942 Hotel Caesar, the Chili Lobster and the 40oz Porterhouse Steak, in addition to American Cut cocktails, desserts and new dishes curated specially for the tournament.
Café Spiaggia: Café Spiaggia is bringing its inviting and lively take on casual Italian fare to US Open guests again in 2018. James Beard Award-winning Chef Tony Mantuano and winner of “Top Chef” Season 15, Joe Flamm have curated a bright, fresh menu packed with shared plates, handmade pastas, and impeccable wines that provide the perfect setting for guests to savor and socialize over great sips, bites, and welcoming hospitality.
Mojito Restaurant & Bar: Award-winning chef, restaurateur, author and TV personality Marcus Samuelsson returns to US Open with Mojito Restaurant & Bar. Chef-inspired dishes packed with Latin flavors are on the menu in 2018.
Wine Bar Food: Also by Chef Tony Mantuano, Wine Bar Food returns to give guests a taste of signature dishes including mozzarella, burrata, and tomato salad, and the fan-favorite flaming ouzo shrimp.
ACES: New Jersey’s own Chef Ed Brown, of Lincoln Center Kitchen fame, returns with Iron Chef Masaharu Morimoto in the US Open’s signature seafood stop, ACES. Menu highlights include new offerings such as olive oil poached Skuna Bay salmon with crushed chickpeas, Tuna Tartare with pistachio, and a fresh garbanzo beans and herb salad. The restaurant will also feature the ACES Raw Bar and one-of-a-kind rolls from Chef Morimoto.
Lure Fishbar: John McDonald’s Mercer Street Hospitality (Sessanta, Bowery Meat Company, El Toro Blanco, B&B) is returning with his flagship SoHo restaurant featuring Chef/Partner Josh Capon at the US Open this year. The seafood-driven menu will include a signature lobster roll, oysters, shrimp cocktail, and more.
New Louis Armstrong Stadium: The unveiling of the New Louis Armstrong Stadium will also include some of the US Open’s most popular dining options along with two bars located on the Main and Upper Concourses:
- Angry Taco
- Ben and Jerrys
- Franks & Fries
- Grand Slam Grill
- Grey Goose Bar
- Heineken Bar
- Hill Country Barbeque
- Korilla BBQ
- Melt Shop
- Neapolitan Express
- Pat Lafrieda
- Grey Goose® Honey Deuce
- The signature cocktail of the US Open
- Grey Goose Frozen Honey Deuce (New in 2018): In celebration of the US Open’s 50th anniversary, Grey Goose is putting a twist on the official cocktail of the US Open by introducing the all new Frozen Honey Deuce. Both the original and Frozen Honey Deuce will be served in a limited-edition 50th anniversary commemorative cup, which features a listing of past men’s and women’s US Open singles champions.
- Lavazza (New in 2018): Lavazza will introduce a new Cold Brew bar at this year’s US Open. The Cold Brew bar will be located on the back side of the Lavazza Café in the Food Village and will offer a variety of flavor options.
- Pineapple Green Tea (Poke Yachty): A tropical twist on green tea.
- Strawberry Yuzu Lemonade (Korilla BBQ): Tangy and tart lemonade blended with strawberry and yuzu.
- Mango-Lychee Mojito (JoJu): Refreshing mojito accented by mango and lychee.
Fast Facts & Figures
- The US Open attracts more than 700,000 fans throughout the course of the tournament.
- US Open Executive Chef Jim Abbey and a culinary team of 250 prepare cuisine across five restaurants, 60 concession stands and 100 suites.
- The US Open will serve approximately:
- 275,000 melon balls (used to garnish the US Open signature Honey Deuce)
- 90,000 pounds of beef
- 9,000 pounds of lobster
- 7.5 tons of crab, shrimp and lobster
- 400,000 individual berries
- 225,000 hamburgers and hot dogs
- 85,000 pounds of poultry
- 12.5 tons of lettuce
- 66,000 bananas
- 35,000 pounds of tomatoes
7,000 specialty tennis ball cookies