Defending Champion Juan Martin Del Potro withdraws from BNP Paribas Open with Knee Injury
Defending Champion Juan Martin del Potro has withdrawn from the BNP Paribas Open due to a knee injury. With the world No.4’s withdrawal, Taro Daniel moves into the main draw of the tournament.
The Argentine had been off the tour with a knee injury since October. He came back to play the Delray Beach Open, last week where he lost in the quarterfinals with his right knee taped.
“I am truly disappointed that I will not be able to return to the BNP Paribas Open to defend my title,” said Juan Martin del Potro. “It is one of my favorite tournaments, and I have incredible memories from last year, but my doctors have advised me to rest. I hope to be back on court soon.”
“I fully understand how difficult it can be to deal with injuries, and that coming back from them is not always a straightforward process,” said Tournament Director Tommy Haas. “We wish Juan Martin all the best in his recovery, and hope to see him back at the BNP Paribas Open next year.”
— Juan M. del Potro (@delpotrojuan) February 27, 2019