Feliciano Lopez Denies Match-Fixing Allegations; Del Potro Wins and Withdraws from Queen’s Club
(June 19, 2019) Feliciano Lopez has denied allegations in match-fixing being mentioned in an on-line media report about a doubles match with fellow Spaniard Marc Lopez at Wimbledon in 2017.
Lopez, who won his singles match on Wednesday, beating Hungary’s Marton Fucsovics, was questioned about the accusation at his news conference. Here is what he said to open the news conference in London at Queen’s Club:
Guys, before I start with the press conference and with any questions related to the match, I want to read something for you. It’s very simple. I’m going to start reading it.
Following reports in media that mentioned my name and my partner, Marc Lopez, I feel it is still important to come to you and absolutely deny any link with events described in relation to the allegations of match fixing.
Unfortunately, all tennis players are public figures and exposed to having our good name used beyond our control. For that reason, I will do everything within my power to defend myself against any such false accusations.
Marc and I had immediately contacted the TIU to fully cooperate, and they confirmed that there had been no investigation about that match at Wimbledon 2017. We have full faith in the TIU and the role they play protecting our sport.
I have always believed in the values of fair play. It has been the case during my long career and I stand for the integrity of the game, which is so important. I am now focused on giving my best, as always, and play with 100% focus at Queen’s.
For now, these are the only comments I wish to make on the matter. Thank you. That’s all.
Lopez is scheduled to play doubles with Andy Murray on Thursday. Murray is playing his first match after his most recent hip surgery.
“I’m so excited about playing with Andy,” said Lopez. “Since we agreed to play, I told everybody that it’s a very exciting moment for me. I mean, Andy is one of the best players in the history of tennis, and I’m very lucky to be playing this week with him, even more at this special tournament. I won here. This is a very special place for me. We are in the UK.”
Juan Martin del Potro beat Canadian Denis Shapovalov 7-5, 6-4 on Wednesday, but slipped and hurt his right knee, the same knee which he fractured last October. As a precaution, the 2009 US Open winner has withdrawn from the tournament. he would have been playing Feliciano Lopez in the second round.
Play has been backed up due to rain and more matches had to be pushed back until Thursday.