Citi Open – Notes & Quotes, Schedule
2019 Citi Open Notebook
July 31, 2019
NOTES & QUOTES
- After their victory on Wednesday evening, Citi Open doubles duo Coco Gauff and Caty McNally talked about the success this week of American teenagers. Coco Gauff: “I think everyone is just working super hard, all the Americans. When one person does well, it kind of just pushes the other person to do well also. So I’m super happy that everyone’s doing really well.”
- The duo also reveal what they know about one another that people may not know?
Caty McNally on Coco: “I think you all should just know that Coco is a really funny girl. Her Instagram is pretty fire. She has some pretty good photo shoots. I think she does a good job with that.”
Coco Gauff on Caty: “She makes nice cheesy jokes. She’s really competitive, too, especially when her coach is on the court.”
- John Isner talks about playing in hot, sunny conditions:
“I think the ball bounces very high in conditions like this, which naturally is very good for me. Now, I don’t necessarily love playing in the heat. It does wear on me quite a bit.
In a match like that, where I get a lead, where I’m up a set, 3-1, those conditions are perfect. I just have to try to hold onto my serve and the match is over.
I love conditions like that. Conditions here I think are a bit slower than Atlanta last week. Those courts were really fast. I always prefer playing on slow courts that bounce pretty high. These aren’t super slow by any means. They’re a nice, medium pace. These conditions, this weather, it does suit my game very well.”
- Lauren Davis on why she likes playing the Citi Open?
“I train in Florida, so I’m used to the humidity and to the heat. But it definitely gets pretty hot, pretty brutal. I love playing here every year. I think it’s my sixth or seventh year coming here. First tournament of the hard court season. It’s five hours from home, which is Cleveland. It feels somewhat like home, for sure, after being in Europe for two months. So I definitely love being here. The crowd’s amazing. The stadiums are really nice to play on.”
- ATP rising Canadian star Auger-Aliassime participated in the Citi Open’s “Tennis Talk with Rennae Stubbs” in Market Square on Wednesday evening. Tennis Talk is an exclusive nightly series for Citi Open fans that features engaging conversations with top ATP and WTA players and special guests. Next up for the Tennis Talk series is 10-time Grand Slam Champion Leander Paes on Thursday at 6:00 pm.
- Yoshihito Nishioka posted one of Wednesday’s biggest upsets with a three-set victory over the No. 7 seed, David Goffin. Next up for Nishioka is his Washington Kastles teammate Nick Kyrgios on Thursday night.
ORDER OF PLAY – THURSDAY, AUGUST 01, 2019
STADIUM start 2:00 pm
WTA – [WC] C. McNally (USA) vs C. McHale (USA)
Not Before 4:30 pm
ATP –  M. Cilic (CRO) vs  F. Auger-Aliassime (CAN)
Not Before 7:00 pm
ATP –  S. Tsitsipas (GRE) vs J. Thompson (AUS) or  J. Struff (GER)
ATP – N. Kyrgios (AUS) vs Y. Nishioka (JPN) or  D. Goffin (BEL)
JOHN HARRIS COURT start 2:00 pm
ATP –  K. Edmund (GBR) vs J. Tsonga (FRA)
ATP –  M. Raonic (CAN) vs [LL] P. Gojowczyk (GER)
ATP –  F. Tiafoe (USA) vs  D. Medvedev (RUS)
ATP –  B. Paire (FRA) vs  J. Isner (USA)
GRANDSTAND start 1:00 pm
WTA – R. Peterson (SWE) vs C. Giorgi (ITA)
WTA – Z. Diyas (KAZ) vs  L. Tsurenko (UKR)
ATP – [LL] N. Gombos (SVK) vs M. Kecmanovic (SRB)
WTA –  S. Hsieh (TPE) vs [Q] V. Gracheva (RUS)
COURT 4 start 2:00 pm
WTA –  A. Kalinskaya (RUS) / M. Kato (JPN) vs N. Broady (GBR) / S. Fichman (CAN)
ATP –  J. Cabal (COL) / R. Farah (COL) vs A. de Minaur (AUS) / J. Peers (AUS)
WTA – J. Pegula (USA) / S. Rogers (USA) vs A. Bai (AUS) / E. Lechemia (FRA) or  Y. Wang (CHN) / Z. Yang (CHN)