Naomi Osaka Rallies Past Ashleigh Barty for China Open Title
(October 6, 2019) Naomi Osaka won her fifth career WTA Tour title on Sunday at the China Open. The two-time major champion ousted No. 1 Ashleigh Barty 3-6. 6-3, 6-2 to lift her first Beijing trophy. Just last week, the fourth seed won in Osaka, Japan, the place where she was born.
“For me, this was my goal. After I lost in the U.S. Open.”
“I really meditated on it. It just feels like I accomplished what I set out to do,” Osaka said to media.
September 28-October 6, 2019
RESULTS – OCTOBER 06, 2019
Singles – Final
 N. Osaka (JPN) d  A. Barty (AUS) 36 63 62
Doubles – Final
[WC] S. Kenin (USA) / B. Mattek-Sands (USA) d J. Ostapenko (LAT) / D. Yastremska (UKR) 63 67(5) 10-7
Final Facts from the WTA Tour
• Osaka lifts her fifth WTA title and third title of the season, having also triumphed in the previous tournament she contested in her birthplace of Osaka and earlier this season at the Australian Open; her win-loss record in WTA finals improves to 5-2
• Osaka defeated World No.1 Barty in the final to notch her 10th consecutive win and record her second victory over a reigning World No.1, also defeating Halep during 2018 Indian Wells
• Osaka fired a tournament-leading 39 aces this week to increase her season total to 351 – the fourth-most on tour behind Ka.Pliskova (474), Bertens (411) and Barty (377)
• Barty was appearing in her fifth final of the season and 11th of her career
• American wildcards Kenin and Mattek-Sands defeated Ostapenko and Yastremska to lift their first WTA doubles title as a team; Kenin now has two WTA doubles titles under her belt, while Mattek-Sands clinches her 27th career doubles title