Coco Gauff to Play Reigning NCAA Singles Champion Estela Perez-Somaribba in First-Ever Women’s Match at the Delray Beach Open
DELRAY BEACH, FL – Today, the Delray Beach Open by VITACOST.com (https://yellowtennisball.com/) announced that global teen tennis star and local Delray Beach resident Coco Gauff will play 2019 NCAA Division I Singles Champion Estela Perez-Somarriba in the first women’s match held in the event’s history on Saturday, February 15th at 7 p.m.
Cori “Coco” Gauff made her splash on the tennis scene earlier this year at Wimbledon receiving a wild card into the singles qualifying tournament where she won consecutive straight-set matches before defeating Venus Williams in the first round and advancing to the second week. Following that, Gauff went on to capture her first WTA doubles title in Washington D.C. followed by her first WTA singles title in Linz, Austria. A Florida native who has captured the attention of tennis fans around the world and in her hometown, the former no. 1 junior in the world has risen from #686 in the WTA singles rankings prior to Wimbledon to her current ranking, #68.
Taking on Gauff will be University of Miami Senior and 2019 NCAA Division I Singles Champion, Estela Perez-Somarriba, who is coming off of one of the best seasons in her collegiate career boasting a 43-5 win/loss record in singles during the 2018-2019 season and claiming the second NCAA Division I Singles Championship title in the program’s history. The third player in program history to reach the Sweet 16 three times, and the second to do so in back-to-back years, Perez-Somarriba received the Honda Sport Award for Tennis, was named ACC Player of the Year, ACC Scholar-Athlete of the Year, ITA All-American (singles), ITA Collegiate All-Star Team, First Team All-ACC, All-ACC Academic Team, and received the ITA Southeast Region Arthur Ashe Sportsmanship & Leadership Award amongst other awards.
“This will be a test, for both players. Not just their tennis, as both are obviously playing fantastic right now, but their minds as well, playing in front of a lot of fans with Coco growing up here and Estela playing her college tennis in South Florida,” said Mark Baron, Delray Beach Open Tournament Director. “It’s going to be a spirited match and a loud crowd.”
Following their match, Gauff and Perez-Somarriba will head to the VITACOST.com sponsor booth for a special autograph signing open to all fans in attendance.
The 10-day tournament will open Valentine’s Day weekend with an ATP Champions Tour legends event. The Team World vs. Team Europe match-up will showcase tennis greats David Ferrer, James Blake, Tommy Haas, Marcos Baghdatis and other fan-favorites.
Tickets are now available for the opening weekend schedule of matches as follows:
SESSION 1: Fri., Feb. 14
· 6:00 p.m. Haas vs. Levine
· NB 8:00 pm Ferrer vs. Blake
SESSION 2: Sat., Feb.15
· 12:30 p.m. Blake vs. Baghdatis
· NB 2:30 p.m. Ferrer vs. Levine
SESSION 3: Sat., Feb.15
· 5:30 p.m. Baghdatis/Pernfors vs. Spadea/Kriek
· NB 7:00 p.m. Coco Gauff vs. Estela Perez-Somarriba
· NB 8:30 p.m. Haas vs. Spadea
SESSION 4: Sun., Feb.16
· 12:30 p.m. Baghdatis/Ferrer vs. Spadea/Levine
· NB 2:30 pm Haas vs. Blake
On President’s Day Monday, Feb. 17, the game’s reigning stars take center court for the ATP 250 event. Fans can book now for the tournament’s “Super Tuesday” featuring Juan Martin del Potro, Kei Nishikori, Nick Kyrgios, Milos Raonic and the winningest team of all-time Bob and Mike Bryan kicking off their final Tour appearance in Delray Beach on Wednesday night.
Tickets can be purchased now for the following pre-scheduled ATP 250 matches:
SESSION 7: Tues., Feb. 18
· 12:30 p.m. Milos Raonic vs. TBD
· NB 2:30 p.m. Kei Nishikori vs. TBD
SESSION 8: Tues., Feb. 18
· 6:00 p.m. Nick Kyrgios vs. TBD
· NB 8:00 p.m. Juan Martin del Potro vs. TBD
SESSION 10: Wed., Feb. 19
· 6:00 p.m. 2nd Rounds Singles Match
· NB 8 p.m. Bob and Mike Bryan (the “Bryan Brothers”) vs. TBD
For those who are hands-on tennis fans, they can get on-court and play with the tournament’s players, or purchase tickets for their loved ones, for the following one-on-one opportunities:
· Legends Clinic: Featuring ATP Champions Tour players, train one-on-one with members of Team World and Team Europe including James Blake, Tommy Haas, David Ferrer, Marcos Baghdatis and more. Cost $599 + tax per person.
· ATP Doubles Pro-Am: An opportunity to “partner-up” with doubles players competing in the main draw at Delray Beach Open. Cost: $500 + tax per person.
· Bryan Brothers Clinic: A once-in-a-lifetime and final opportunity to learn from the winningest doubles team – the Bryan Brothers – in an exclusive one-hour clinic. Cost $599 + tax per person.
Whether you’re spending all 10 days at “The Beach” or a few preferred sessions, the tournament offers a perfect ticket for everyone. Aside from the above promotional offers, individual tickets for all sessions are on sale now and start as low as $30. The economical “Flex-Three” package offers 20% off box and reserved stadium court seats when three or more tournament sessions are purchased (offer ends January 19, 2020 and excludes the Sunday ATP 250 Finals, February 23, 2020). Tennis fans can also take advantage of the “Daily Double” special with ticket buyers receiving 10% off box and reserved stadium court seats when tickets are purchased for the day and evening session for the same day (offer ends January 19, 2020).
See the full lineup of offers, parties, special events, food and beverage options and more at YellowTennisBall.com or call 561-330-6000.