Naomi Osaka Withdraws From Wimbledon
(June 17, 2021) A second top tennis player has withdrawn from the The Championships, Wimbledon on Thursday in Naomi Osaka. Rafael Nadal withdrew earlier in the day.
Various media outlets report that the 23-year-old women’s world No. 2, who represents Japan, said through her agent that she will sit out SW19 to get ready for the Olympics in Tokyo. Osaka withdrew from the French Open after the first round when she announced that she did not want to do media conferences.
In emails to various news outlets, her agent said in a statement: “Naomi won’t be playing Wimbledon this year. She is taking some personal time with friends and family. She will be ready for the Olympics and is excited to play in front of her home fans.”
Breaking: Naomi Osaka has withdrawn from Wimbledon, her reps said in a statement.
“She is taking some personal time with friends and family. She will be ready for the Olympics and is excited to play in front of her home fans,” the statement said. pic.twitter.com/W89uGWcwlk
— SportsCenter (@SportsCenter) June 17, 2021