Former Champions, Eight Americans Highlight US Clay Field
ATP Tour Returns to River Oaks April 2-10 After Two Missed Years
HOUSTON (March 8, 2022) – The Fayez Sarofim & Co. U.S. Men’s Clay Court Championship revealed the players entered for the 2022 ATP 250 tournament taking place April 2-10 at River Oaks Country Club.
North America’s only clay court tournament on the ATP Tour returns to River Oaks for the first time since 2019. The 2022 field includes a pair of former champions in Cristian Garin (2019) and John Isner (2013).
World No. 8 and 2019 River Oaks finalist Casper Ruud is among the top-ranked players entered in the field. This year’s participants have won a combined 42 ATP Tour titles, with 12 coming on clay.
Isner is one of eight Americans signed up on the initial player entry list. Headlining the US contingent is Reilly Opelka, who won his third career ATP Tour title in Dallas last month and reached the Delray Beach final the following week.
The 19 players on the initial entry list represent 10 countries and will feature nine competitors playing at River Oaks for the first time.
“Our player reveal gives us more excitement that we are finally returning to River Oaks for the first time in three years,” Tournament Director Bronwyn Greer said. “We are thrilled to welcome well-accomplished ATP Tour stars along with great talent making their debut at River Oaks. We also cannot wait to welcome back our fans to River Oaks in less than a month.”
Here is an overview of the 2022 U.S. Men’s Clay Court Championship field:
• Two former River Oaks champions: Garin (2019), Isner (2013)
• One former River Oaks finalist: Ruud (2019)
• 10 countries represented, led by the United States with eight players
• Nine players are making their River Oaks debut: Jenson Brooksby, Francisco Cerundolo, Marcos Giron, Peter Gojowczyk, Lloyd Harris, Soonwoo Kwon, Adrian Mannarino, Jaume Munar, Alejandro Tabilo
• Two players who have won singles titles in 2022: Opelka (Dallas) and Ruud (Buenos Aires)
• Three players who have at least one title on clay: Ruud (6), Garin (5), Isner (5)
• Three former NCAA champions: Mackenzie McDonald (UCLA, 2016 singles), Giron (UCLA, 2014 singles), Isner (Georgia, 2007 team)
• 12 players aged 25 or younger (Youngest is 21-year-old Brooksby)
• Four players aged 30 or older (Oldest is 36-year-old Isner)
Below are the players on the 2022 official entry list:
(ATP Rank) Name Age, Country • Mini Bio
(8) Casper Ruud, 23, Norway • Notched 57 wins and five titles last season; 2019 River Oaks finalist
(17) Reilly Opelka, 24, USA • Made two straight finals in 2022 U.S. events; Fourth year at River Oaks
(20) Taylor Fritz, 24, USA • Five-time ATP Tour finalist; 2018 River Oaks semifinalist
(23) John Isner, 36, USA • Holds 16 ATP Tour titles; 2013 River Oaks champion
(25) Cristian Garin, 25, Chile • Won five ATP Tour titles on clay; 2019 River Oaks champion
(30) Frances Tiafoe, 24, USA • Had a career-best 33 wins in 2021; Making fourth River Oaks appearance
(32) Lloyd Harris, 25, South Africa • Scored personal-best 30 victories in 2021; First year at River Oaks
(39) Tommy Paul, 24, USA • Won first ATP Tour title last year; Making second River Oaks appearance
(43) Jenson Brooksby, 21, USA • Finalist in Dallas earlier this year; First year at River Oaks
(55) Marcos Giron, 28, USA • Two-time ATP Challenger Tour champion; First year at River Oaks
(59) Mackenzie McDonald, 26, USA • Reached first ATP Tour final in 2021; Third year at River Oaks
(64) Soonwoo Kwon, 24, South Korea • Won first ATP Tour title last year; First year at River Oaks
(66) Adrian Mannarino, 33, France • Has made 10 career ATP Tour finals; First year at River Oaks
(78) Jordan Thompson, 27, Australia • Made final 16 at 2020 US Open; 2019 River Oaks quarterfinalist
(90) Kevin Anderson, 35, South Africa • Two-time Major finalist; 2015 River Oaks semifinalist
(94) Peter Gojowczyk, 32, Germany • 2021 US Open quarterfinalist as a qualifier; First year at River Oaks
(95) Alejandro Tabilo, 24, Chile • Made first ATP Tour final earlier in 2022; First year at River Oaks
(99) Jaume Munar, 24, Spain • Owns six ATP Challenger Tour titles; First year at River Oaks
(100) Francisco Cerundolo, 23, Argentina • Made first ATP Tour final in 2021; First year at River Oaks
The full singles field for the 2022 event will feature 28 singles players that includes the initial entries, four spots given to qualifiers along with three wild cards. Two special exemptions will be given in the event a player on the entry list is unable to get to River Oaks in time due to playing in the later rounds of the previous week’s tournament. If unused, the spots will be given to players on the alternate list.
Fans will get to see ATP Tour tennis at River Oaks for the first time since 2019, starting Saturday, April 2 with the qualifying tournament. Singles main draw action begins Monday, April 4 and the final takes place on Sunday, April 10.
A limited number of tickets are available now. To purchase or for more information, visit mensclaycourt.com/tickets.