
(July 4, 2026) Two of the top three seeds in the women’s draw of Wimbledon fell on Saturday in the third round in the biggest upsets of the tournament. Defending champion and No. 3 seed Iga Swiatek of Poland fell to No. 29 Southpaw Alexandra Eala of the Philippines 7-6 (9), 6-2 while No. 2 seed and former Wimbledon champion Elena Rybakina lost to No. 25 seed Elise Mertens of Belgium 7-6 (4), 6-1.
Eala is the first player from the Philippines, to reach the fourth round of a major singles tennis tournament.
“It’s incredible to have my countrymen cheering me on and knowing that we’re all in this together,” she said in an on-court interview.
“This goes out to them, this goes out to my family, this goes out to all the little girls with ruffled socks and chubby cheeks. It means the world,” said Eala.
With the Kazakh’s loss, it ensures that Aryna Sabalenka will remain the No. 1 player in the world.
“I felt like Alexandra was more brave in important moments,” Swiatek said. “In the tiebreak we both had many chances to close the set earlier, and it didn’t go my way.”
Mertens will face Czech Marie Bouzkova for a place in the quarterfinals.
Eala will play No. 13 and former Wimbledon finalist Jasmine Paolini.
In addition to the second- and third-seeds losing, No. 6 seed and last year’s finalist American Amanda Anisimova lost to countrywoman Madison Keys.
